Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin: Caring for our four-legged furry friends is always a priority. As a dog owner, it is impossible to think of the day when we don’t worry about their well-being. From keeping them well-fed to pampering them with all we’ve got – we do it all. But what should we do when our canine kids start struggling with itchy and dry skin? Well, we should give them the best treatment that is available – a nice bath with the best dog shampoos for dry skin. When dry and flaky skin troubles your buddy, it is best to switch from regular dog shampoos to hydrating dog shampoos that can give the skin what it needs – moisture, care, and love.
- What to Consider Before Buying the Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin?
- Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin with Reviews
- 1. WAHL Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs:
- 2. Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog Shampoo – Lavender Coconut Scent with Aloe:
- 3. Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo, Waterless, No Rinse Foam Mousse:
- 4. Honeydew Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Pure Lavender Essential Oils:
- 5. Mika Pets Natural Hypoallergenic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo: Itchy Dry Sensitive Skin:
- 6. Honeydew Vanilla Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Aloe Vera:
- 7. Burt’s Bees For Dogs Natural Itch Soothing Shampoo with Honeysuckle:
- Why Should you use Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin?
What to Consider Before Buying the Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin?
The dog shampoo for dry skin can do wonders for your pup, but you have to ensure that you buy only the best dog shampoos for dry skin. Your canine friend deserves the best and it is upon you to make sure that he/she gets nothing but the best. That is why you have to choose the shampoo very wisely. The following factors may help you in your decision:
Ingredients: This is no doubt the most essential factor that you must consider while choosing a shampoo for your dog. Only the right ingredients can help restore your dog’s natural skin coat. Take a good look at the ingredient list on the shampoo bottle. Any shampoo that is meant to treat dry skin in dogs must have oatmeal. Oatmeal helps get rid of itchiness. Moreover, oatmeal aids in restoring the pH balance of your pet’s skin. A balanced pH is of utmost importance to combat itchiness and dryness. The next most important and common ingredient to look for is aloe vera. As already known, aloe vera creates a soothing effect which prevents your pup from scratching the skin again and again. Aloe vera is also a good source of many minerals and vitamins that nourishes the skin and promotes faster healing. Any other ingredients that help restore the skin pH balance in dogs are also welcome.
Organic: Apart from the main ingredients contained in the shampoo like oatmeal or aloe vera, you should also check what else is contained in the shampoo. It is always recommended that you choose an all-natural or organic shampoo for your dog. Harsh chemicals may hurt your pup’s skin all the more and aggravate the situation. Make sure that the shampoo contains only the best natural ingredients that can hydrate, soothe, and nourish your dog’s skin.
Hypoallergenic: Your dog may not have a known allergy, but it is best to resort to a hypoallergenic shampoo when dealing with dry skin issues in the dog. Hypoallergenic products are gentle on the skin, especially if they are all-natural. That is why you can rest assured that your dog will face no further problems with its skin. On the other hand, if your dog has known allergies or has naturally sensitive skin, you should always stick to hypoallergenic shampoos. They are the best dog shampoos for dry skin because they ensure that their use will not cause allergic breakouts in your dog. This will prevent further aggravation of the condition.
Anti-Parasitic Properties: If your dog’s dry skin is due to infections caused by pesky parasites, you should look for a shampoo formula that will help you deal with both the conditions – kill the parasites and treat the dry skin. Shampoos that contain salicylic acid, micronized sulfur, etc. along with other necessary ingredients are good for treating parasitic infections. These shampoos will kill the infection-causing parasites and also heal the dry, flaky skin.
Shampoo Formula: While picking the best dog shampoo for dry skin, it is best to take a look at the shampoo formula. Bath time shouldn’t become a nightmare for your dog which is why shampoos that do not contain parabens, dye, soaps, and detergents. These can cause nose and eye irritation and are harmful to your dog. Always go for a product that is genuinely tear-free. Another thing that you should stay away from is alcohol. Shampoos that contain alcohol make the skin drier and can worsen the situation. If you do not want your dog scratching itself all the more, steer clear of alcohol-containing shampoos.
Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin with Reviews
1. WAHL Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs:
WAHL brings to you itch relief shampoo for dogs. It contains lime verbena, aloe vera, lemon, extract, coconut, oatmeal which moisturizes the dry skin and turns out to be effective against itchy skin as well. It does not contain any type of alcohol products. It’s foamy, which means a little drop will do the trick. With this shampoo, you can easily clean your dog. Although this shampoo is known for its all-natural ingredients but in case your dog is allergic to some of the components, then it might irritate his or her skin and will cause a lot more itchiness.
According to the dog shampoos for dry skin reviews, you get full value for the money that you spend. People have been using this shampoo for their dogs for many days now and not many have complained about this shampoo. Due to the fact that this shampoo is PEG-80 free, you can use this shampoo for your beloved dog without any worries. It’s absolutely safe and beneficial for your dog. It has a nice smell and works fine with the sensitive skin unless your dog has allergies from one of the ingredients. Overall this organic shampoo might be the best choice for your dog at home.
- Effective against itching
- Smells fine
- No added alcohol
- Consistent result
- Includes all organic and natural ingredient
- Smooth bathing shampoo
- Good for itchy skin
- Might not be suitable for all types of dogs
- Might be itchy for some dogs
- The package is not that big compared to what you pay
2. Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog Shampoo – Lavender Coconut Scent with Aloe:
Looking to buy a dog shampoo for itchy and dry skin, well Lillian Ruff presents you with a quality Oatmeal Dog Shampoo that is not only suitable for dry and itchy skin but also can reduce allergies, skin rashes, and irritations. It contains all-natural ingredients that ensure that your dog feels fresh and smell good after every bath and you can rest assured that there will be no itching either.
This shampoo cleans dog skin with care and soothes the skin to ensure that your dog gets good relief. It contains Oatmeal which is known for its moisturizing and soothing properties. With regular use, your dog won’t be feeling irritated or itchy at all. It’s a really good solution for your beloved pet.
Apart from that, it contains coconut and lavender oil which are known for its repellent properties against the ticks and fleas. The presence of Aloe Vera in the formula ensures that your dog’s skin stays shiny, soft and healthy all the time. Due to the fact that it does not contain any kind of harsh chemical you can easily use it for your dog or cat or any other pet that needs a nice, refreshing bath.
If your dog loves to play and comes back with a lot of dirt and mud, she or he is bound to smell very bad. This is exactly where this shampoo can come handy. With a nice natural scent, it can make your dog clean and leave a calming scent as well.
- Shiny, soft and healthy coat in no time at all
- Soothing to dry and irritated skin
- Cleans your dog’s coat with ease
- Perfect to add shine and luster to the coat
- Contains Aloe Vera and Oatmeal which are important in keeping your skin calm, clean and healthy
- Its conditions your dog’s skin naturally
- As per the dog shampoos for dry skin reviews its pH balanced formula ensures no rash or irritation
- Contains lavender which is known as one of the best natural disinfectants
- No paraben, sulfate product, or gluten
- Completely vegan formula
- Your dog might not like the smell
- Have to use on a regular basis to have a vibrant effect on your dog’s coat
3. Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo, Waterless, No Rinse Foam Mousse:
This shampoo is derived from natural coconut formula which makes it mild, effective and safe to use on sensitive skin. This is the perfect shampoo for your dog if he or she does not love the water. It’s quick to use and easy to get over with. It does not have any spray bottle or wipes, its environment-friendly and economical too which makes it a great choice for anyone. It includes all-natural, safe and standard ingredients and does not have any kind of harsh chemical as well. When you buy this shampoo, you get a money-back guarantee. In case you are not satisfied with the result, you can claim your money back within 30 days of purchase.
Compared to the other shampoos this one a lot easy to use, it cleans your dog pretty well and makes sure it removes the odor. It does not require your dog to take a bath. You do not even need any water or rinse. With every use, it cleans the skin of your dog and fur as well. This shampoo is available 2 different scents, mango, and Pomegranate. So, whichever suits your dog, you can buy and start using it. Normally it works on all types of dogs and even for those having sensitive skin.
- Nice, strong scent
- Easily remove odor from your dog fur
- No side effects on skin
- Even a single drop can do the magic for you
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- Simple and easy to get going
- No water or rinse required
- According to the dog shampoos for dry skin reviews, the scent is not that great
- Might make the fur a bit sticky even after wash
4. Honeydew Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Pure Lavender Essential Oils:
Worried about your pet’s skin and coat health, well then it’s time that you switch to Colloidal Oatmeal Dog shampoo. It’s rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, which ensure that your pet’s skin stays clear and helps in removing germs as well. Apart from that, it has ingredients like Lavender, jojoba oil and Oatmeal as well which are known for treating skin diseases and other presence of other essential oil also helps in moisturize your pet’s skin and stay healthy.
As per the dog shampoos for dry skin reviews, this shampoo comes with anti-fungal properties and cleansing value and it can condition and soothe your pet’s skin as well. Due to the fact that it has Vitamin E and anti-inflammatory ingredients, it’s good for those dogs having sensitive skin as well. Its moisturizing capability makes this shampoo a better choice for dogs with sensitive and dry skin.
Lavender oil has a nice natural scent which tends to stay all day long after you wash your dog. With regular use, it can calm your pet as well. Since it has no paraben or sulfate product, you can rest assured that it’s not harmful to your pets.
- Guaranteed satisfaction for any dog
- Includes 3 important and quality ingredients that have clinical importance
- It’s perfect to soothe, condition, deodorize and clean your dog’s fur and skin
- It’s natural and hypoallergenic in nature which means any dog with sensitive skin can use this shampoo
- The nice strong smell that lasts long
- Makes the coat shiny and soft with regular use
- No tear formula for the dogs
- Does not contain any sulfates or parabens
- Remove odors easily it can moisturize and hydrate your dog’s skin
- Only 8 oz bottle is available
5. Mika Pets Natural Hypoallergenic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo: Itchy Dry Sensitive Skin:
Mika pets present to you a high-quality Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo for your dog. It does not have any kind of unnecessary chemicals which makes it good for sensitive skin as well. It contains two important ingredients: Oatmeal and Aloe Vera. Oatmeal fights against itchiness and known for its properties to soothe your pet’s skin. It’s a natural ingredient which means it does not have any side effects unless any dog has some allergies from Oatmeal. On the other hand, Aloe Vera provides the moisturizing effect which is much needed for your furry friend. Any dog of age more than 12 weeks can use this all-natural shampoo with ease. With regular use, your dog can surely get a soothing, gentle and fresh skin. This shampoo is hypoallergenic in nature so it’s good for even those dogs having sensitive skin. It does not contain any phosphate, allergen or sulfate which means it’s not harsh on your pet’s skin at all. It smells fine and most importantly you can use this shampoo for any type of dog.
- Irrespective of a small or large breed of dog, you can use this shampoo
- Soothing to your pet’s skin
- Effective for sensitive and dry skin
- Cleanses your dog’s skin and fur without any irritation
- Does not contain paraben, DEA, MEA, sulfates or phosphates
- Hypoallergenic in nature
- Contains natural and organic ingredient
- Might not work well for all types of dogs
- Does not have any fragrance
- Your dog’s skin might get a bit dry after wash
6. Honeydew Vanilla Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Aloe Vera:
Wish to choose the best for your beloved pet? Well, have you tried this Oatmeal shampoo for your Dog? Well, this shampoo is vet recommended and can be termed as one of the best shampoos for dogs to give them a nice, pleasant shower. It has a nice vanilla and lavender smell which leaves your dog fresh and calm. Although it has bug repelling properties but it does not use any kind of chemical for that; its all-natural formula is tear-free too.
If you go through dog shampoos for dry skin reviews, you will see that mostly skin irritations are caused due to the flaky, dry skin; this is exactly where this shampoo from Honeydews comes into play. It moisturizes your dog’s skin and heals the skin too. Along with that, the natural lavender smell tends to fight the insects off your dog’s skin, which means they don’t itch anymore. This makes them stay calm and feel good as well.
The basic ingredients Aloe Vera and Oatmeal are known for its soothing and moisturizing properties and this shampoo user that pretty much efficiently. This ensures that with every wash, your dog gets a nice, soft, moisturized skin. This is not only a shampoo that will remove dirt, but it’s a healing formula for your dog too. If you think about it, it also helps in minimizing shedding as well.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Tear less for your beloved dog
- Guaranteed cleaning
- Anti-flea and ticks repellent
- Works for sensitive skin as well
- Comes in Vanilla and Lavender scent
- Hydrates your dog’s skin
- It’s not bug repellent at all
- Makes your dog’s skin a bit dry
- Does not smell like its natural
- Does not leave a nice scent either
7. Burt’s Bees For Dogs Natural Itch Soothing Shampoo with Honeysuckle:
If you are looking for a pH-balanced natural shampoo for your dog then this formula is the best that your dog can get. With a perfect pH balanced formula and 99.7% natural ingredients it can certainly meet your expectations. And due to the fact that its pH balanced, you can use this for dogs with sensitive skin. The main ingredients used in this shampoo are Linseed and Buttermilk. Buttermilk makes the fur soothing and soft and the Linseed conditions your pet’s fur with regular use.
Buttermilk also has the property to nourish dog skin and it can fight skin dryness as well. Other than that it comes with astringent property which means it can make your pet’s skin-tight, healthy and firm while providing necessary moisture to the skin. It’s gentle on skin and fur and it comes in the no-tear category as well. It does not contain SLS, phthalates, artificial fragrances, sulfates, colorants, petroleum, paraben or any harsh chemical that may cause irritation or rashes.
- It’s a natural formula
- Quality ingredient
- Affordable price
- It works as a conditioner as well as shampoo
- The bottle can be recycled with ease
- The dispensing capacity of the bottle is really good
- It’s pH balanced
- It does not irritate your pet’s skin
- No harsh chemicals are used
- As per the dog shampoos for dry skin reviews, the scent is a bit mild due to the absence of any chemical fragrance
- You cannot choose a bigger bottle size, only one particular size is available
- It’s a bit thin
Why Should you use Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin?
Dry skin isn’t a problem that only humans have to face. Your pet dog may suffer too and since they rely on you for their well-being, it is your duty to make sure that you take immediate steps. That said, oftentimes, pet owners fail to realize that their doggo is having issues with dry skin. Unlike in humans, in most dogs, it is difficult to see if the skin has become dry. That is why you need to closely watch out for symptoms that indicate that your dog may have got dry skin. Dandruff, flaking, hair loss, scabs, bad odor, inflammation, etc. are the common symptoms of dry skin in dogs. And if any of these symptoms appear, it best to try the best dog shampoos for dry skin for your canine friend.
These dog shampoos are specially made to help nourish your dog’s skin and also treat associated conditions that can trouble your doggo. Let’s take a look at some of the most important benefits of using dog shampoos for dry skin:
- The most important benefit is that these shampoos hydrate your dog’s skin very well so that you can say goodbye to dry, flaky skin. These shampoos moisturize the skin and leave it supple.
- Many shampoos contain formulas that can treat the bacterial and fungal infection which may have caused the skin to become dry and itchy in the first place.
- Dry skin means that the pH balance of the skin has been hampered. These shampoos restore the pH balance so that flakiness is gone.
- These specially formulated shampoos can promote the production of useful natural oils that will keep the skin soft and healthy and restore its natural shine.
- As these shampoos contain formulas to help fight skin issues, they are useful if your dog has developed skin diseases like dermatitis, mange, etc.
Dry skin in dogs is a matter of great concern. It can not only make your dog uncomfortable but can also be leading to further complications. Continued scratching can lead to bleeding and serious infections and more. So, it is best that you take steps at the first sign of dry skin. Choose from the list of the best dog shampoos for dry skin reviewed above. You can also consult a veterinary before you start using the shampoo, especially if your dog has sensitive skin or is allergic. Regular use of the shampoo will surely help alleviate the condition and restore your doggo’s coat and fur to their full glory.