If you have decided on buying a freestanding electric fireplace, you have, indeed, made a wise decision. Want to spend some cozy time with your family, seating by the crackling fire? Well, who doesn’t? Family time becomes more enjoyable with the warmth and coziness that a fireplace imparts. But what about the hassles involved in building and using a traditional fireplace? Well, that is something that may discourage you from getting a fireplace for your home. However, with a freestanding electric fireplace, you needn’t worry about those hassles anymore. These freestanding fireplaces need no installation, no firewood or logs, involve no fire, smoke, or embers, and are very low on maintenance. Naturally, you can enjoy the winter days without any hassle at all.
- What to Consider When Buying a Freestanding Electric Fireplace?
- Best Freestanding Electric Fireplaces Reviews
- 1. Duraflame DFI-5010-01 24 Inches Infrared Quartz Electric Fireplace Stove:
- 2. Dimplex TDS8515TB Celeste Electric Stove, Glossy Black:
- 3. Duraflame DFI-550-0 Mason Freestanding Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove, Black:
- 4. HomCom 16 Inch 1500W Electric Wood Stove Fireplace Heater:
- 5. e-Flame USA Regal Portable Electric Fireplace Stove (Matte Black):
- 6. Pleasant Hearth Panoramic Stove – Vintage Iron:
- Why Buy a Freestanding Electric Fireplace?
- Safety Tips for Using Freestanding Fireplaces at Home
What to Consider When Buying a Freestanding Electric Fireplace?
There are so many freestanding models available in the market, how to pick the one best for you? Well, here we will list a few factors that you should consider to land on the best freestanding electric fireplace for your home:
Space Available: Freestanding units require their own ground space. You cannot place them on any countertop or mantelpiece or mount them on the wall. So, you need to have enough space available for the fireplace to be able to use one. That is why, before you think of selecting a model for your home, make sure that you measure the space available to you for the fireplace. Do not choose a model that will be a tight fit in the space that you have. Some open space around the fireplace is always suggested.
Heat Capacity: When you are looking for an electric fireplace, it is essential that you consider the amount of heat it can produce and whether that would be enough for your room or not. Make sure that you check the BTU output of the unit under consideration. The more the BTU, the more will be the heat output. So, if you need more heat to warm up your room, you need to opt for units with higher BTUs.
Design and Color: Freestanding units are available in a wide range of designs, colors, and sizes to suit your home the best. From plain-looking mini-units to stylish large-sized ones, you name it and you will get it online. Not only that, you can find freestanding units of any color, shade, and hue that may suit your room’s interior décor the best. If you love the traditional fireplaces but are unable to build one, you can also for a faux traditional look to upscale your room’s décor value.
Material to Make: While surfing for the best freestanding electric fireplace, it is also necessary to consider the material of which the fireplace is made of. Common materials that are used for making these units include wood, metal, glass, plastic, etc. While units made of wood look classy and stylish at the same time, they may weigh a bit more. Metal bodies are often lighter and fit perfectly with modern, sleek décor. Glass fireplaces look fantastic with modern, elegant décor as well. Plastic is often not a much-favored choice.
Noise: If you are buying a fan-forced electric fireplace, then the rotating fan may cause some noise. That is why, when you are looking for a freestanding electric fireplace, make sure that you enquire how much sound it makes. It is always better to go for models that produce nothing more than humor you may feel irritated with the sound while using your electric fireplace.
Installation: The unit that you buy must be easy to install. It should come with an easy user guide that you would be able to follow step-by-step to get your unit up and running. If the unit comes already assembled, then you wouldn’t need much effort for installing it. Plugging it in is all that you would need to do.
Additional Utility: If you have a space crunch in your house and want to get some added utility out of your freestanding unit, then be sure that you choose a model that comes with a number of added shelves. Though you will need to cash out a bit more, you will save your expenses for a centerpiece, a small shelf, a TV stand, etc. A model with additional storage space will mean that you will be able to place your TV, magazines, small gadgets, decorative items, etc. on or within the unit itself, thus saving you space and money as well.
Cost: Unless you have a whole lot of money to spend, you need to take into account the kind of budget that you have. Freestanding electric fireplaces start somewhere around a mere $100 and go up to a couple of thousand dollars, depending on its size, heating capacity, the technology used, added features, etc. So, you have to first decide what you exactly need from your unit and then find the best freestanding electric fireplace in your budget.
Best Freestanding Electric Fireplaces Reviews
1. Duraflame DFI-5010-01 24 Inches Infrared Quartz Electric Fireplace Stove:
This particular Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove from Duraflame comes with enough capacity to heat a small-sized room and with a beveled glass front, strong construction, and coals flicker and 3D flames; this is one of the best that you can get. The remote control comes with five different settings for controlling the brightness to your liking and the quartz heater makes sure it maintains the room temperature the way you need. This fireplace is quite lightweight that certainly adds to its portability to move around the home. Since the heating function and fireplace operate separately, you can turn off the heat and still enjoy the amazing flames and admire the flicker around the glowing coals.
- Quality metal body construction
- Effective for small rooms
- Brightness and speed control
- The viewing window is quite large
- Amazing real like fire display
- Might not be adequate for the medium or large-sized room
- The legs of this unit are made of plastic
2. Dimplex TDS8515TB Celeste Electric Stove, Glossy Black:
This freestanding electric fireplace might not look much, but this small unit is perfect to heat your small room to its perfection. Although the heating of this heater is quite powerful, none of the outer parts of this fireplace gets heated, so you do not have to worry about your pets and kids. With this fireplace installed in your room, you can enjoy the same ambient and warm feeling without the smoke and odor and the ash. The installation of this unit is really easy. It comes as a whole unit and all you need to do is plug it in an electric outlet and you are done. With a metallic body and traditional look, this fireplace can be a perfect fit for any decorative room or a small office, or your drawing-room. This fireplace uses a quality flame technology that ensures maximum realism. The 3D flame of this fireplace looks awesome and can be operated even when the heater is OFF. Apart from that, it comes with two different heat settings and when you add to the fact that it’s highly energy-efficient, you can certainly choose this product as the best freestanding electric fireplace.
- Compact design that makes it highly portable
- Perfect for small-sized rooms
- Saves a lot of power
- The fan might not work for too long
3. Duraflame DFI-550-0 Mason Freestanding Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove, Black:
If you are looking for an ambient and charming experience in your home, then this fireplace from Duraflame is the best that you can get. It provides you a real wood fire experience without the difficulties of smoke and ash. This fireplace has infrared heating technology that can easily heat up your room and provide you with a comfortable heating experience. Due to the fact that it uses infrared heating, the body of the fireplace stays cool, so it’s perfectly safe even if you have children in your house. Also, infrared heating technology turns out to be a lot more cost-effective as well. The fireplace comes with a unique door with a classic authentic finish. This fireplace provides the best realistic experience and the best part is that you can enjoy the visual flame effects even when the heat function is OFF. Also, the fireplace is quite light in weight which makes it a lot easier to transfer it from one part of the room to another. All you need is a standard outlet and you are done; Just plug and play. Apart from that, the fireplace includes glowing logs that enhance the flame effect a lot more than any other fireplaces that you can buy. The heater provides the perfect warmth and the ambient that you are looking for even if you have a medium-sized room. This fireplace is one of the best that you can find. Its power consumption is a lot less than gas or wood powered systems and it does not pollute the air as well. According to the freestanding electric fireplace reviews, this heater is one of the best choices that you can make for your home.
- Generates adequate heat
- You can control the flame effects but you have only 5 different options to choose from
- Comes with a wooden handle for the operational door
- Few parts of the unit have been reported to be of cheap quality
See Also: Best Stone Electric Fireplaces
4. HomCom 16 Inch 1500W Electric Wood Stove Fireplace Heater:
This electric fireplace from HomCom can certainly bring a classical touch to your room. With its antique design, this heater can certainly be the best choice for your leaving room. This fireplace is well designed to match any décor and it’s really like a log fire display is just amazing. Since this fireplace mostly uses LEDs, so you do not have to worry about your electricity bill as well. The heating element of this stove is at the bottom which makes it safe to touch the metal body of the fireplace while it’s ON without having to worry about burn damages. This fireplace comes with two different heat settings and is capable of heating up a small size room with ease. You can also use the safety timer to prevent the fireplace from getting overheated. The best part of this fireplace is that you can actually turn OFF the heat and yet you will be able to enjoy the fire display and relax. Overall this small fireplace is perfect for any dining room, study, even for the small bedrooms as well.
- As per the freestanding electric fireplace reviews Perfect for the value that you pay
- Generates enough heat
- Works fast
- Woodstove design makes it a classic choice
- Lightweight and sturdy construction
- Almost no sound
- Might not be best for the large rooms
- Does not include any remote control
- Being lightweight in design, this can cause a bit of problem in case you have children in your home
5. e-Flame USA Regal Portable Electric Fireplace Stove (Matte Black):
If you are looking for a fashionable fireplace for your basement, workplace, and guest room, or maybe a garage, then this particular portable fireplace from e-Flame is the best that you can get. The unit has a curvy design that makes it perfect for any corner and due to its lightweight construction; it becomes a lot more portable too. With a graceful and dignified design and burning log effect with dancing flames, this can surely be your first choice. The heater does not generate a lot of noise and has the capability to distribute the heat throughout the room.
According to the freestanding electric fireplace reviews, the best part of using this fireplace is that you do not have to worry about your kids touching the metal body. It’s completely safe and does not introduce any smoke or odor in your room and you can enjoy the flames all year even when the heating is OFF. Apart from that, this unit is cost-effective and energy saver too. With the facility to heat up quickly, no-heat visual enjoyment, and most importantly lower electricity consumption, you can certainly save a lot of money.
- The fire and flame effects are just fantastic
- Compared to many expensive units, this one can provide you great performance
- The style of this fireplace provides a traditional and appealing look
- Highly portable and can be moved from one location to another with ease
- As per some of the users, the unit does create a lot of noise while starting
- The rotating flame might not work properly
- The heat control might not work properly
- Pricing is quite high compared to other products in the same category
See Also: Best Electric Fireplaces
6. Pleasant Hearth Panoramic Stove – Vintage Iron:
If you are looking for a fireplace that can provide you with a warm environment and the perfect ambient at the same time then this particular European-style fireplace could be a good choice for you. With this unit installed in your leaving room, watching a movie or a TV show or an important one might become a bit more exciting than you can ever imagine. This fireplace does not use coal, gas, or wood, so it does not have any smoke, fume, or other emissions which makes it user-friendly and environment-friendly as well. Installing this heater is really one of the easiest things you can imagine. All you need to do is find your choice of position and an electrical outlet. And due to the fact that it has a compact design, it makes it really easier to move around the room and find the best place you can put it. This unit has the visual effects of pulsating flames and realistic logs and the best thing about this unit is that you can not only control the flame intensity and brightness but also can enjoy the view even if the heating functionality is OFF. The unit also includes a safety mechanism to stop the machine from overheating and in case such a situation arises the unit will automatically shut down.
- High level of heat generation
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Comes with a protection system
- Highly Portable
- The size of the fireplace stand might not be good enough
You May Also Like: Top Corner Electric Fireplaces
Why Buy a Freestanding Electric Fireplace?
Though you can find different types of electric fireplaces in the market, freestanding electric fireplaces are often preferred by homeowners for many reasons. Let’s take a look at how freestanding electric fireplaces make a better choice:
Unlike traditional or wall-mount fireplaces, freestanding units do not require any sort of installation. While traditional fireplaces have to be built-in into your room structure, wall mounts require the installation services of an expert. But in the case of a freestanding unit, you just need to place it anywhere you consider suitable and plug it in. No complex installation process is involved. Thus, it is ideal for homeowners who do not want to spend a whole of money on installing a fireplace.
Since no permanent setup is involved, freestanding units are considered to be highly beneficial for people who live in rented apartments or houses and cannot make any changes to the house. With a freestanding model, you can enjoy the benefits of a fireplace without having to restructure the walls of the room.
Most modern freestanding units come with easy-to-understand settings that can be used to control how much heat is produced. Doing so with a traditional unit would be far more difficult than you can imagine. Not only that, you can change the color and pattern of the faux flames to suit your preferences and mood, thus offering the ultimate user satisfaction.
Unless you are planning to buy a huge, faux traditional freestanding unit, it is quite likely that the fireplace that you buy would weigh only a few pounds. This means that shifting your fireplace wouldn’t be difficult if you want to relocate to a different area.
Safety Tips for Using Freestanding Fireplaces at Home
Like any other device that runs on electricity, freestanding electric fireplaces are generally safe. That said, you need to follow some basic safety tips to avoid electrical hazards. Here are a few tips to help you enjoy the benefits of your fireplace without any incident at all:
- Make sure that the freestanding unit that you buy is placed on a level surface. If the surface isn’t even, the unit may wobble and cause accidents.
- It is also important that the unit is properly secured to the floor so that it does not topple over.
- If the socket isn’t close to where you want to place the fireplace, do not use extension cords as they can overheat and cause a fire. Ask your electrician to install a new socket closer to the area.
- Keep the unit away from damp and moisture. As with any other device that runs on electricity, short circuits can occur if the unit in place in a damp place.
- Make sure that the space surrounding the fireplace has no obstruction so that ventilation can properly occur.
- Ensure that you never spill any liquid on or close to the fireplace. If a spillage occurs, make sure that it is cleaned off thoroughly and immediately.
- When not in use, the fireplace must be unplugged from the socket. This will prevent accidents from occurring due to inadvertent handling by children.
- Make sure that the power cord and plug are in good condition. If you see any damage, call an electrician immediately to prevent accidents.
- Instruct your children not to press the buttons on the fireplace at any time.
- Children must also be taught not to put anything into the vents of the fireplace.
Freestanding electric fireplaces are a great addition to any home. Whether you are living in a rented apartment or a plush bungalow, you can now enjoy the warmth and coziness of a fireplace without the hassles that come with a traditional fireplace. Available in all sizes, these fireplaces can go with any type of interior décor – classy, elegant, modern, sleek, or retro. So, go through the freestanding electric fireplace reviews given above and chose the one that will suit you the best
You May Also Like: