Every time you shampoo your hair, you enjoy the nice, thick lather that your shampoo creates, don’t you? Well, what creates the foam or lather when you apply shampoo is sulfate free. Sulfates are surfactants which mean they attract water and oil. Shampoos contain sulfates for a very important reason – sulfates help separate the dirt and grime from the hair and scalp so that they can be washed away along with water. Moreover, dead skin cells from the scalp are also washed away with the sulfates.
- Why Do You Need Sulfate Free Shampoos?
- Who Needs Sulfate Free Shampoos?
- How to Choose the Best Sulfate Free Shampoo?
- Best Sulfate Free Shampoos with Reviews
- 1. Pure Nature Lux Spa Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
- 2. Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo:
- 3. Bellissimo Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
- 4. Crème of Nature Moisture & Shine Shampoo With Argan Oil:
- 5. Bingo Natural Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set:
- 6. Not Your Mother’s Way to Grow Long & Strong Hair Shampoo:
- 7. L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Cleansing Balm:
- 8. Aubrey Organics J.A.Y. Desert Herb Revitalizing Shampoo:
- 9. Nature’s Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing Shampoo:
- 10. Renpure Organics Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo:
- Important FAQs Regarding Sulfate Free Shampoos
Why Do You Need Sulfate Free Shampoos?
With sulfates being so useful in cleaning your hair and scalp, why would anyone think of using sulfate free products? Well, there are reasons for that. Sulfates have downsides. They not only remove dirt and grime from the hair but also rob the scalp and hair of its natural oils. This turns the hair brittle and dry. Moreover, if you have a sensitive scalp, use of sulfate containing shampoos can cause dryness, redness, and itching. So, if you do not want your hair robbed of its natural texture and shine, sulfate free shampoos are the best choice.
Who Needs Sulfate Free Shampoos?
Since sulfate shampoos steal the natural oils from the hair and render it dry, anyone having frizzy hair should avoid shampoos that contain sulfate as they can make the hair too frizzy to control. The best sulfate free shampoo will maintain the natural oils in the hair so that the hair can be easily managed. Moreover, these shampoos are an ideal choice for anyone who has sensitive skin or allergies as sulfates can aggravate the condition.
Shampoos that are sulfate free are also a great choice for anyone who has damaged hair, can wash their hair only once per week but do not want to have greasy hair, and those who have chemically treated hair. Shampoos that do not contain sulfate are generally very mild, and hence, they do not have any damaging effect on the hair.
That being said, sulfate free shampoos are not ideal for everyone. For example, if you have oily scalp and hair, using a mild sulfate free shampoo will not be good for you because mild shampoos cannot get rid of the excess oil that your scalp secrets. Your hair will retain the greasy look even after you shampoo. The presence of the excess oil can also cause dandruff and you will surely not like that. So, sulfate free shampoos may not be ideal for such people. Sulfate free shampoos also do not create much lather. If you love being all lathered up during a hair wash, give it a though before switching to sulfate free shampoos.
How to Choose the Best Sulfate Free Shampoo?
Sulfate free shampoos are a great way to protect your hair from too much frizz and brittleness. But to have the best benefits, you also need to choose a product that is actually good. The best sulfate free shampoo will clean your hair well and also retain its natural health. The choice of the shampoo must be done after considering the following factors:
Necessity: Before you plan to buy a new shampoo bottle, consider if the switch is at all necessary. While shampoos free of sulfates are generally good for your hair, they may not be necessary for everyone. In fact, many people are just fine with the use of sulfates. So, unless if you have frizzy, dry, coarse, or damaged hair, changing products may be unnecessary. Don’t let a trend decide what you use for your hair.
Hair Requirements: The choice of the best sulfate free shampoo will also depend on what your hair needs. This will usually depend on the other ingredients contained in the shampoo. Make sure that these ingredients are suitable for your hair and scalp.
Size: Sulfate free shampoos are available in different volumes and prices. If this is your first try, it is best to choose a small bottle so that you know what you are going to get before you buy a big bottle for regular use. You should also compare the price of the different sulfate free shampoos available to find a product within your budget.
Set: If you have used a sulfate free shampoo before and liked what you got or if you are that you want to switch, you can take a look at the various shampoo and conditioner sets available online. This is a wise decision as sets cost comparatively less than when the products are brought separately. So, you may decide to buy a set of the best sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
Fragrance: As with any other shampoo, sulfate free ones, too, come with fragrance and without. And it is upon you whether you would like your shampoo to be fragrance free or not. Unless you are allergic to fragrances, there is nothing wrong with a shampoo that comes with a mild fragrance.
Other Ingredients: A shampoo contains many ingredients, some of which are synthetic chemicals while others are natural. If you want to go all natural, make sure that the product that you are about to buy contains natural and organic ingredients only. If you have no such preferences, you needn’t scroll through the long list of ingredients.
Special Needs: All sulfate free shampoos are ideal for people with frizzy, dry, and damaged hair. However, you have to be extra choosy if you have color treated or chemically treated hair. Though all sulfate free shampoos are gentle, it is best to choose shampoos that are specially meant for colored or treated hair. Such shampoos ensure that your hair color stays and the effects of the treatment do not wear off fast.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoos with Reviews
1. Pure Nature Lux Spa Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
Pure Nature offers you a quick solution to have hydrated and moisturized hair. This shampoo contains keratin which can protect your hair from heat and UV rays as well. It works fine on any type of hair and offers you frizz free, shiny, and clean hair in no time at all. Apart from that, since it does not contain any parabens or sulfate products, you can rest assured that regular use of this shampoo won’t hurt your hair or your scalp at all. If you are looking for beautiful, soft, and shiny hair, then this is the right solution for you.
- Protects your hair from heat and UV rays
- Does not contain paraben or sulfate
- Offers smooth and silky hair with every wash
- Argan oil hydrates your hair and maintains a nice moisture level
- Rich with vitamins and antioxidants
- Treats scalp issues and skin irritation
- Shiny, frizz free hair with every use
- The scent might be a problem for many users
- Does not work on all types of hair
- A bit more foamy than expected
2. Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo:
Looking for a sulfate free shampoo that can nourish your hair? Well, you can certainly try out this Argan oil shampoo from Maple Holistics. Name any ingredient that can be healthy for your hair, this shampoo has it included. Apart from Argan oil, it contains Peach kernel, almond oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, and keratin. If you go through sulfate free shampoo reviews you will see that this shampoo is hypoallergenic and can be used for treating damaged hair. No matter what kind of hair you have, this shampoo can work on any of them with ease. Apart from nourishing your hair, it makes them strong and eliminates any kind of frizz that you might have. With regular use, you can even notice improvement of your scalp as well.
- This shampoo is hypoallergenic, means it does not contain any sulfate products
- Frizz free silky hair in no time at all
- Contains argan oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, and other important vitamins to nourish your hair
- Helps in having a strong hair
- Repairing damaged hair with this shampoo gets easier
- Might not work at all for dry, heat treated hair
- According to sulfate free shampoo reviews, it might make your hair dry
- Might make your scalp flaky and itchy
3. Bellissimo Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo:
If you are looking for an Argan oil rich shampoo that can help you have healthy hair, then this is the right shampoo for you. It includes Vitamin E which is really good for nourishing your hair. It has essential oils as well which can help you get rid of frizzy hair. Being rich in Argan oil, it can cure your dry scalp and oily hair with ease. Overall this is a high quality, sulfate free shampoo that can work on almost any type of hair. With regular use, it can certainly restore damaged, dull hair. Even if you use it every day, it won’t have any negative effects on your hair or scalp.
- Capable of curing your split ends
- Nourishes and repairs damaged hair
- No paraben or sulfate products are included
- It contains argan oil along with vitamin E and other essential oils
- Frizz free shiny hair with regular use of this shampoo
- Helps in moisturizing your hair and scalp
- No artificial chemicals included
- Works on all types of hair
- As per the sulfate free shampoo reviews, the shampoo does not smell good
- Smells like chemical products
- Your hair might get greasy
See Also: Best Hair Straightening Shampoos
4. Crème of Nature Moisture & Shine Shampoo With Argan Oil:
Argan oil has been one of the well known ingredients known for its moisturizing and nourishing benefits for hair. It includes important fatty acids and Vitamin E that helps in getting healthy hair. This shampoo from Crème of Nature is powered by argan oil which makes it a perfect product to moisturize your hair. Even if you have dry and damaged hair, this shampoo can help you get back shiny and clean hair with regular use. After every wash, it leaves your hair well conditioned and soft and frizz free as well. It does not contain any type of sulfate products, this is not harmful to your scalp or hair by any means.
- Perfect cleansing shampoo for you
- Makes your hair frizz free
- Suitable for any type of hair
- Works on color treated hair
- You will have soft and shiny hair with every wash
- The scent of this shampoo is not the best
- Might not be the best option for oily hair
- Rinsing off the shampoo is a bit difficult
5. Bingo Natural Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set:
As per the user reviews, this particular sulfate free shampoo for men from Bingo Natural is one of the best in the market that you can buy. It contains vitamin E, essential oils and fatty acids and antioxidants as well. All these ensure that you get revitalized a scalp, it helps in increasing elasticity, and it can give you shiny and smooth hair with every wash. If you have dry and damaged hair, it can strengthen your hair and offer a soothing feeling. It can also help reduce flaky scalps and split ends. Along with proper nourishment, you will have properly hydrated hair as well.
- Ingredients are all natural and organic
- Helps in protecting your hair from UV rays
- Does not contain sulfate compounds which makes it hypoallergenic
- It reduces flaking
- Promotes hair volume
- Makes your hair healthy and shiny with every use
- Does not have any harmful chemicals
- You can expect a moderate amount of foam
- The scent of this shampoo is not so popular amongst the users
- If you have curly hair, this shampoo might make them curlier.
6. Not Your Mother’s Way to Grow Long & Strong Hair Shampoo:
This particular sulfate free shampoo for women from Not Your Mother’s includes nourishing herbs, essential vitamins, and other bio actives to help you have strong hair. It is designed to prevent split ends and breakage. Being free from sulfates and other harsh chemicals this shampoo can be a good option for those having oily and greasy hair although you might have to use a conditioner after you have a wash. It comes with a no-leakage package which is why you can carry it anywhere you want. It does not have any formula to cure your hair overnight, but with regular use, you can have effective results and shiny and clean hair as well.
- None of the ingredients will damage your hair
- Perfectly cleanses your hair
- Makes your hair stronger and prevents breakage
- Does not include sulfate products, parabens, or phthalate
- Helps in volumizing your hair
- You get more than what you pay for
- Scent might be a problem
- You will have to use conditioner to have a moisturized hair every time you wash your hair
- According to the sulfate free shampoo reviews, if you have a frizzy hair, this shampoo might not be a good solution for you
See Also: Best Mild Shampoos
7. L’Oréal Paris EverCreme Cleansing Balm:
L’Oréal Paris has been a well-known name in hair-related products industry and this cleansing balm is not an exception either. It’s specially designed for anyone having damaged or dry hair but it works fine for people having normal hair as well. It contains nothing but natural ingredients which makes it a perfect choice for those looking for a sulfate free shampoo. It’s designed to offer you soft, clean, and shiny hair in no time at all. It also includes conditioning agent as well which means you do not have to use conditioners separately.
Despite being manufactured by one of the biggest names in the hair care products, this shampoo is not that expensive. It works mostly on any type of hair and is known to be as one of the best sulfate free shampoos for dry hair. It can protect your hair from daily pollution and other elements that damage your hair. Depending on your hair problem, you can choose EverPure, EverCreme or EverCurl.
- Quite affordable compared to what you get
- Does not include any sulfate products
- Absolutely silicone and dye free; so it’s not harmful to your hair in any way possible
- You can have frizz-free smooth hair in no time at all
- Leaves your hair soft and silky every time you wash your hair
- Difficult to open a bottle
- The nozzle does not meet high standards
- Those with oily hair might not get benefited at all
- It leaves your hair a bit greasy after every wash
- You need to use just enough of this shampoo since it’s really difficult to wash
8. Aubrey Organics J.A.Y. Desert Herb Revitalizing Shampoo:
Looking to buy a shampoo that will prevent hair breakage and make them stronger? This particular shampoo from Aubrey Organics could be the right choice. It’s perfect for anyone having damaged or weak hair. It has a strong scent but once you wash your hair, you won’t smell anything. All the ingredients in this shampoo are purely natural and organic which makes it the best sulfate free shampoo for curly hair. According to the sulfate free shampoo reviews, this shampoo can be beneficial only if you use it for long term. So, unless you have the patience to use this shampoo on a regular basis, you should not be using this shampoo.
- Includes keratin protein which is an essential ingredient for healing damaged hairs
- Makes your hair frizz free and shiny
- Contains aloe extract, jojoba oil, and yangu oil
- Does not contain gluten or sulfate
- Completely natural product
- Makes your hair soft and healthy
- Comes with the herbal scent
- Since it’s rich in organic and natural ingredient, it’s a bit costly
- You will need to use a high quality conditioner to moisturize your hair
- Using this shampoo might leave your hair a bit dry
- You might not get that much foam during the first wash
9. Nature’s Gate Herbal Daily Cleansing Shampoo:
In case you love to use organic products that will not only protect your hair from harmful elements but also will help you have nice, non-greasy hair, then this particular cleansing shampoo from Nature’s Gate is the perfect item that you can buy. It contains rosemary, lavender, and sage extract that help in cleaning, nourishing, and moisturizing your hair as well. Even if you have color treated hair, with this shampoo, you do not have to worry about it. Although this shampoo is quite gentle and most certainly won’t damage your hair, it is wise to have shampoo at regular intervals instead of having them on a daily basis. Do remember to use cold water and a quality conditioner while you shampoo your hair.
- Does not make your hair dry after every wash
- Not that expensive
- This shampoo is known to be the best sulfate free shampoo for natural hair
- This product will not remove your hair dye
- Being free from any artificial color, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates, this shampoo can prove to be nutritious
- Nourishing for your hair and scalp
- Perfect to have clean and shiny hair
- If you are sensitive to strong scents, then this shampoo might not be suitable for you
- According to sulfate free shampoo reviews, this product might cause allergy to some users
- Not a great moisturizer; so you will have to use a conditioner after every use
See Also: Best Low pH Balanced Shampoos
10. Renpure Organics Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo:
If you love to color your hair, then this Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo from Renpure Organics is a great option for you. This product is absolutely sulfate free, and being rich in argan oil, it is good for your hair as well. It includes all the nutrients that you need to protect your hair from grease and dirt and pollution. With regular use, you keep your hair free from the effects of UV rays even if you have to work outside for long periods. Being free from parabens and other sulfate products, it is perfect for those who have frizzy hair. Not only this shampoo cleans your hair but it also moisturizes it as well. If you wish to have clean, tangle free hair, then this is the shampoo for you.
- Pretty much affordable
- No sodium chloride
- No gluten
- If you have frizzy hair, this shampoo is perfect
- No paraben, salt or dye
- Sulfate free
- The scent might be too strong
- You might have greasy hair right after you use this shampoo
Important FAQs Regarding Sulfate Free Shampoos
Can sulfates be the cause of hair fall?
Yes. Sulfates make hair strands brittle and they can easily break. Residues of sulfates left on the scalp may make it dry, thus causing hair fall. Sulfates can also make hair thinner.
Will sulfate-free shampoos aid hair growth?
Sulfate free shampoos have no effect on hair growth. However, these shampoos retain the natural shine and health of the hair. So, people switching from sulfate shampoos to sulfate-free ones experience thicker, longer, and healthier hair. Sulfate-free shampoos also help retain moisture. If the shampoo contains good conditioning agents, your hair will grow thicker and healthier than before.
Are sulfate free shampoos suitable for all hair types?
Yes. Sulfate free shampoos are mild and do not affect any hair type. They can be used on frizzy, thick, fine, thinning, textured, and even color treated hair. Make sure that you buy only the best products.
Are these shampoos pH balanced?
Usually, yes. Before you buy a product, make sure that you check the pH levels of the shampoo. This should be available on the bottle or products. A minimum pH of 4.0 – 6.5 is ideal for cleansing hair without affecting it.
What if the shampoo contains glycerin?
The glycerin used in shampoos provides the hair with the necessary moisture. That being said, glycerin derived from petroleum is not good for your hair. Use products that use glycerin obtained from vegetable sources.
Should sodium chloride be present in the shampoo?
Sodium chloride is a common agent used to thicken shampoos (and other products as well). Presence of more than 2% sodium chloride is harmful to your hair as it strips the hair of nutrients, minerals, moisture, and even hair color.
If you have damaged or frizzy hair, you need to switch to the best sulfate free shampoo today! It will lock in moisture and other necessary nutrients while cleansing your hair and scalp thoroughly. And if you feel that you are going to miss that sudsy feeling, do not worry. You can now get sulfate free shampoos that create quite a good lather. So, set your confusions aside and buy a bottle today!
You May Also Like: