Best Tankless Water Heaters Reviews: Thanks to the advancements in the technology which have made our lives a cake walk in terms of comfortable appliances! We’re blessed with the Air conditioners to combat the scorching summer heats and heaters to fight the winter chills. A wide range of these products are available in the markets and newer ones are entering every other day. Talking about the water heaters, they have undergone a tremendous era of changes to make these water supplying units much more convenient, cheaper and efficient. Tankless water heaters are the latest ones which are ruling the market these days. Let’s know a little more about these efficient tankless water heaters and the boons associated with them in the section below.
What are Tankless Water Heaters?
Tankless heaters are an advanced version of our age-old traditional type heaters and offer a higher efficiency with lesser energy consumption. These heaters are also known as instantaneous or demand- type water heaters, mainly because they provide hot water immediately when needed without any standby time. No standby time means no energy wastage and hence reduction in electricity bills and thus a treat to your pockets!
How Tankless Water Heaters Work?
The working principle of a tankless water heater is quite different from that of tankless heaters. The tank heaters store water in the large storage unit, heat up the cold water and then supply hot water on turning on the hot water supply tap. However, the tankless type does not possess any storage tanks but they heat the water directly in the course of its movement through the water supply pipes. The water pipes are equipped with a gas burner or electric element which heats the water. Thus, no waiting time is involved. The gas type heating element is usually more efficient than electric type heating elements as they offer a better flow rate. However, the flow rate is quite low in tankless type heaters as compared to the tank type heaters. Tankless type heaters offer an output flow rate of 2-5 gallons per minute. This flow rate is usually not sufficient for simultaneous use for various purposes as you cannot expect a continuous hot water supply for simultaneously washing laundry and the dishes as the demand is higher. In such a scenario, you can opt for multiple heating units installed in parallel to ensure a continuous water supply to meet the higher demands. Also, you can opt for installing separate water heaters for variable appliances. Despite a lower flow rate, these heaters are high in demand and more preferable considering the cost-effectiveness and convenient usage.
How To Install A Tankless Water Heater?
Installation of tankless heaters is quite easy but you may need a plumber to help you in the process. Good maintenance and a proper installation can improve the energy efficiency of these heaters. Some prerequisites must be considered before getting tankless heaters! These heaters require wider water pipes to support the electric or gas elements. Other factors which must are essential for installation of tankless heaters include:
- fuel type
- local building code requirements
- Safety issues
In case you’re planning to install your water heater on your own, follow the user manual given by the manufacturer along with the product.
How To Use A Tankless Water Heater:
- With tankless water heaters, you can choose the areas of hot water supply which you want. It can be the whole house of any specific point- of- use. These point specific water heaters are mainly operated via electricity while gas models are better suited for whole house supply.
- Both electricity and gas supplied units allow the users to adjust the ejecting water temperature as per their needs. Some of the advanced tankless heaters also offer temporary temperature adjustments. In order to use a Tankless water heater, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Turn on the main switch supplying current to the heater and turn on all the faucets supplying water to the taps with hot water supply and turn off the taps with no connection to hot water faucets.
- Let the faucets remain running for a few minutes till any air in the lines is pumped out.
- Using the temperature dial, set the convenient water temperature.
- Store the hot water as much you need and then turn the tap off and switch off the main supply to the heater.
Tank Vs Tankless Water Heaters
While the tank water heaters have been ruling the markets since very long, tankless heating systems are a quite newer innovation. They were brought into the market considering the higher maintenance and run costs associated with the traditional ones. While both the systems have their own advantages and disadvantages, a comparison can be drawn between them based on various parameters. Some of them are listed below.
Price: Product price is one of the major deciding factors when we’re planning to make any purchase. Comparing the tank type heater and the tankless ones, the installation price, electricity consumption and the maintenance prices can be considered for comparison. While the tank type heaters are cheaper to install, the tankless ones are very cost- effective in terms of maintenance and electricity consumption. So considering the long- terms benefits, tankless type heaters are a better deal for your pockets.
Installation: The installation of tank type heaters is much easier as compared to the tankless type. The tankless type heaters require pre-fixation of the pipelines and even fixtures in the wall but they are very compact and won’t occupy much space, unlike the tank type heaters.
Lifespan: Tankless heaters have a longer lifespan as compared to the tank type heaters. While the tank type heaters show the durability of around 10- 12 years, tankless heaters offer a lifespan of 20+ years.
Myths About Tankless Water Heaters
Many times competitors in the market spread rumors in order to disgrace the product. Many such rumors revolve around tankless heaters as well. Be a smart customer and avoid believing on such myths spreading around:
Instant Hot Water: Well you need to understand that it is just a water heater working on some technology and not an Ali Baba’s Jinny which will fulfill your demand in seconds! The tankless water heaters are undoubtedly quick but the use of the term instant is an over exaggeration. They need some buffer time to sense the natural gas and heat up the water before supply which may take up to a few seconds.
Invitation Of Expenses: Yes! The installation of these tankless heaters is expensive but taking into consideration the long-term benefits, this expenditure is worth. These heaters use much less electricity and also incur very minor maintenance charges. Hence, it’s more of a saving than expenses!
Overheated Water Supply: Unlike traditional water heaters, tankless heaters are rather a savior in terms of heating temperature. They heat the water up to an optimum temperature which can be manually adjusted.
Benefits Of Tankless Water Heaters
All the points given above are sufficient to prove the higher efficiency of tankless water heating systems. To summarise the benefits associated with tankless water systems, go through the following points:
Less Energy Wastage: Tankless water system use minimal energy. There is no unwanted wastage of energy to store and heat the water in huge tanks.
Cost Effectiveness: As the amount of energy consumed is drastically reduced in the tankless systems, the cost of using these systems also gets very low! Also, they are easier to maintain and also do not require such services. Hence, you can use them without putting a toll on your pockets.
Compact: Tankless water heaters are very compact in size and can be installed even in a very small area on the outside wall.
Quick Supply: They can heat up the water as it passes through the water pipes and hence, you get a quicker supply as compared to the traditional heating systems.
Purchase Guide For Tankless Heaters:
- Select cautiously between the electric type and gas type heaters after considering your requirements.
- Depending upon your usage, select the best model offering the optimum flow rate. Tankless heaters with variable flow rates ranging between 1.2- 6 GPM are available in the markets.
- Purchase from authorized sellers only.
- Make sure to check and avail the warranty as tankless heaters generally don’t require much maintenance.
- Opt for sellers offering installation as well, this will reduce extra expenditures of installation.
Here are the 10 Best Selling Tankless Heaters With Reviews
1. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater:
These tankless water heaters from EcoSmart is working on a patented technology and is one of the best heaters available on the market today! The heater provides an excellent flow rate of 3 gallons per minute and runs on modern technology which can offer up to 50% savings on the electricity consumptions and bills.
- The temperature can be adjusted very easily with the digital technology offering excellent digital temperature control with the 1-degree rise in the water temperature.
- Copper and stainless steel material used in the designing of these heaters offer a higher durability to the product.
- The installation of the product must be carried out very carefully via skilled technicians or plumbers.
- Has small accessory parts.
2.Takagi T-KJr2-IN-NG Indoor Tankless Water Heater:
This is one of the compact heaters available in the market which is best suited to meet the demands of a small family. The heater is designed using stainless steel, hence you can expect a longer life and lower maintenance charges. The flow rate offered by this heater is 6.6 GMP.
- Body is made up of stainless steel, hence no damages due to wear and tear.
- Compact in size, best suited to meet the demands of a small family.
- It works with the help of natural gas, hence appropriate safety precautions are necessary like no smoking while using gas. A risk factor is involved!
3. Rheem RTEX-13 240V Heating Chamber Tankless Water Heater:
These tankless heaters are easy to install and offer an externally visible, self-modulating temperature control. They are up to 99.8% energy efficient and run on the electric heating plate based mechanism.
- Less risky as compared to gas-based heaters.
- Easier installation.
- Heaters with higher flow rates are available nowadays.
See Also: Best Electric Tankless Water Heaters
4. Stiebel Eltron 224199 240V Tankless Electric Water Heater
These heater has been carefully designed using the latest German technology. It is the most technologically advanced heater available in the market. The heater is highly efficient and reduces the power consumption by 15- 20% KWH. The advanced technology automatically adjusts the water flow and eliminates the fluctuations in the temperature. Hence, you can adjust the desired temperature and expect a good water flow as per your requirements.
- It is easier to install as compared to the other gas type heaters available in the market.
- Sleek and beautiful design with advanced German technology.
- The flow rate is sufficient to support one appliance at a time, however using more than one shower/tap at the same time can reduce the flow rate.
5. Camplux outdoor Tankless Water Heater:
This heater from Camplux is a good choice to meet your requirements. It is based on the gas based heating mechanism and is installed with summer/winter conversion function. Hence, you can save more during summer times. Other prominent features of this device include antifreeze protection, 20 minutes automatic safety device. Also, it permits the use of multifunctional shower heads and you can get to enjoy the hot water the way you want!
- Advanced features like antifreeze protection, summer/ winter mode, automatic safety device.
- o ring seals connection is important or else leakage problems arise.
6. Sio Green IR260 POU Electric Tankless Water Heater:
This heater is designed using the quartz tube heating mechanism and hence offers a high-efficiency heating capacity. The great technology was designed by NASA and is ecologically very safe. Also, it is suitable for use in areas with hard water supply and you can be sure of no calcium deposits hence, a higher operational longevity. Overall, you can rely on this product if you’re looking for some good long-term usage.
- The technologically advanced heater is resistant to corrosion and calcium deposits. Suitable for use in areas with hard water supply.
- The installation process for this heater is quite complex.
7. MAREY Gas 10L Tankless Water Heater:
This heater uses LP or natural gas to heat up the water and no electricity is required to supply the hot water! It is a rust proof model and there is no loss of water due to any leakages. The energy efficiency of these heaters is 55-80% which makes it a product of choice amongst the customers.
- It can work even at low water pressure.
- The wastage of energy is very low as the gas heats up the water only when the faucets are turned on.
See Also: Best Propane Water Heaters with Reviews
8. Rinnai Indoor Low Tankless Water Heater:
This heater from RINNAI is a maximum energy factor of 0.82. It is light in weight, compact and is suitable for indoor installation. The device is highly efficient in terms of power consumption and can offer you great savings on the electricity bills. The flow rate is also very good and you can even use multiple devices while using this tankless heater.
- Supports the use of multiple devices simultaneously.
- The heater is quite slow and may take up to a few seconds after turning on the faucets.
9. Camplux Outdoor Portable Tankless Water Heater:
This heater by Camplux can work on very low water pressure of even 2.5 PSI! The temperature range of this device is 114.8℉(46℃)- 46.4℉（8℃). An output of 1.32 gallons per minute is readily offered by these heaters, Also, the size is very compact and hence it can be installed easily on the outdoors as well. Overall, it is a good heater to meet your hot water requirements.
- 20 minutes auto- cut safety device.
- Energy efficiency is very good.
- The water output rate is very low and is suitable only for minimal water usage devices.
10. Rheem Residential Tankless Water Heater:
This tankless heater is equipped with two heating elements which supply the hot water. The temperature of water pouring out can be adjusted by using the digital thermostatic control with LED display. The heater is very compact in size and very easy to install. It can be easily installed on the outside wall of the house without much trouble. Some of the Pros and Cons associated with the product are given below.
- Very efficient heating device with very less electricity consumption.
- Temperature fluctuations may occur.
- It can support only one device at a time.
Safety Tips While Using The Tankless Water Heaters:
- Though tankless heaters are very safe to use but still certain things must be taken care off while using them. Following are the safety measures associated with the use of tankless water heaters which will help you in handling these devices in a safer manner:
- Water temperature of 120° F is optimum for usage. Avoid using higher temperatures which can result in skin burns.
- Since these heaters use Natural gas or other combustible gases to heat the water, they must be handled carefully. Make sure to keep away any flammable substances to avoid any fire breakout and damages.
- Do not leave children unattended around these heaters as carelessness can result in accidents.
- Get annual services done on time to avoid sediment building up in the pipelines. Sediment building can lead to premature tank failure, electric element failure, and excess costs on fuel bills.
- Keep the safety tips in mind and follow the user guide provided by the manufacturer for the efficient and safe handling of tankless water heaters. They are undoubtedly one of the best technologies to make your life more comfortable and easier.
Posts You May Also Like: